With the 2020 season upon us most of you will be back in the storage sheds of your Club to grab your quota of training and match balls. Whether they be new footballs or old it is essential to take care of the most treasured item in your kit bag to ensure maximum life and performance.
To help we have put together some important tips on how to best care for your football. Gorilla Sports will be including these tips on a handy card which will be included with all future ball purchases. This card can be kept near your compressor for easy reference.
Appropriate ball inflation and care will increase the life of your football and ensure the best performance on the field.
Premium level balls are usually made from PU (polyurethane) for the outer. PU has excellent wear and tear resistance, good elasticity and low-temperature performance. It gives players increased feel and retains its shape better during play. PU balls are normally hand-stitched but thermo bonded (glue and heat) balls are increasingly popular.
TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) exhibits high levels of elasticity and is incredibly resistant to stresses such as abrasion and stains. TPU is commonly used for machine-stitched balls and is more durable than PVC. The combination of TPU and a foam layer makes the ball softer which assists with control.
PVC (or vinyl) is a common thermoplastic used in the outer layer of promotional and training balls. It is known for its durability, scuff resistance and value for money. PVC lends itself well to custom designs and is therefore popular when clubs wish to customise their balls with club colours, logos and sponsors.
- Inflate the ball to approximately 75% of full pressure and allow the ball to stand for an hour to two before inflating to full pressure.
- All Gorilla Sports balls have maximum inflation pressure stated on the ball. A gauge should be used to ensure the pressure is correct as different balls may require different pressures.
- NEVER OVER INFLATE THE BALL.
- Always use a light application of lubricant on the needle such as Vaseline or glycerine, (In emergencies saliva is better than nothing!).
- Insert the needle vertically not sideways or on an angle.
- Any crinkles in your ball will disappear within a short period of inflation.
- Suitable for grass or synthetic turf only.
- Do not use the ball on hard surfaces such as roads or concrete. Do not repeatedly kick your football into walls or fences
- Keep your football out of direct sunlight or heat for prolonged periods of time.
- Do not keep in cars for extended periods of time as the heat may damage the ball.
- If using in wet weather, please ensure to towel dry after use and allow to dry inside.
- Do not use a heater, hair dryer or extreme heat to dry your ball.
- Store in a cool, dry place
- Keep some air in the bladder at all times except for short periods if you are transporting balls.
Contact us any time to discuss how best to care for your club's footballs, or stop in to our head office in Brisbane.
About Gorilla Sports
We are a teamwear business with a long history in Football! We supply clubs nationally with all their apparel and equipment needs. Most importantly, we are an Australian owned business that supports community sporting organisations. Contact us today for a chat about your Club!